Monday, December 3, 2007

My Ignorance

What do I mean by my ignorance? The number one thing I learned during the first six weeks of teaching remedial reading to high school students is that reading problems BEGET behavioral problems, and I am pretty sure they occur in that order. It was not that they were actually horrible in their behavior, but it was the undertows in the classroom that caused me greatest concern.

When I first started teaching high school remedial reading, I realized that my training as a preschool to 8th grade reading teacher would be quite useful! I think my greatest amount of use came from what I learned while teaching remedial reading in the lower grades, because that was where my students' skill levels were developmentally. I was astounded by skill deficit but also relieved when a student demonstrated good fluency and decoding but only poor comprehension.

In returning to my ignorance, my first weeks in high school remedial reading taught me that high school culture had changed quite a lot since I had been there as a student!

No comments: